Your Financial Aid

In the past year, 89 percent of all Brooklyn Law School students received some form of financial aid. Financial aid from federal and state resources is based on eligibility and financial need. Brooklyn Law School awards merit scholarships and need-based grants.

  • In order to receive federal loans, you must be an eligible United States citizen or permanent resident. For all eligibility requirements, visit our Federal Loans section.

    Your first semester of study, commencing in May 2014, will be part of the 2013-2014 Federal Financial Aid Award Year. If you wish to receive federal loans for this summer semester, you must complete your 2013-2014 FAFSA at

    If you already completed the 2013-2014 FAFSA as an undergraduate student, you MUST complete a Correction FAFSA, list yourself as a Graduate/Professional Student with an independent status. Add BLS (G02677) as a school authorized to receive your FAFSA.

    As a law student, you are eligible to borrow up to $20,500 in an Unsubsidized Direct Loan for the 2013-2014 academic year. However, if you received federal loans (subsidized or unsubsidized) as an undergraduate in 2013-2014, the amount of the loans you borrowed must be deducted from the $20,500 in the Unsubsidized Direct Loan you are eligible to borrow at BLS. You are also eligible to borrow a Graduate Plus Loan up to the cost of attendance for your first semester.

    You must also complete the 2014-2015 FAFSA in order to receive federal loans for Fall 2014 and Spring 2015. You are eligible for $20,500 in an Unsubsidized Direct Loan for the 2014-2015 academic year (half in Fall 2014, half in Spring 2015). You are also eligible for a Graduate Plus Loan up to the full cost of attendance for Fall 2014, Spring 2015, and Summer 2015.

    List Brooklyn Law School (G02677) as a school authorized to receive your FAFSA information for 2014-2015. 

    Because of the short time span before your begin classes in May, please complete both of your FAFSAs by April 15, 2014. 

    Complete the BLS Application for Financial Aid for Accelerated Students. The Office of Financial Aid will originate your Unsubsidized Direct Loans. 

    If you wish to borrow a Graduate Plus Loan for Summer 2014, you must complete the loan application here . For this loan, use the loan period 05/13/2014 to 7/22/2014.

    If you wish to borrow a Graduate Plus Loan for Fall 2014, Spring 2015, and Summer 2015, you must complete the loan application here. For this loan, use the loan period 8/11/2014 to 7/24/2015. 

    Sign a Master Promissory Note for your Unsubsidized Loan here. This MPN will be good for 10 years. 

    Sign a second Master Promissory Note for Graduate Plus Loan here. This MPN will also be good for 10 years. 

    Complete your Entrance Counseling here. No Federal Loans can be disbursed without your completed Entrance Counseling and your signed Master Promissory Note(s).

  • Complete the FAFSA online after January 1 at If you do not have a Federal PIN number, you may apply for a new PIN or receive instructions on how to access your old PIN at US citizens and permanent residents are eligible to apply for federal student aid programs. To receive federal student aid, the student cannot be in default of previous student loans.

    For federal loan programs, all law students are independent, so you should not include parental income or asset information on your FAFSA. The FAFSA determines your eligibility for Federal Unsubsidized Loans, Graduate Plus Loans, and and Federal Work-Study. List Brooklyn Law School, G02677, as a school authorized to receive your FAFSA. When your FAFSA is processed, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) and Expected Family Contribution (EFC) which determines how much aid you are entitled to.

    Complete the 2014-2015 Brooklyn Law School Application for Financial Aid by April 30, 2014. You must reapply for financial aid every year that you attend school. The Application for Financial Aid is now a fillable form. Complete the form, save it to your computer, and then email it as an attachment to If you are selected for verification, you will be required to submit your 2013 Federal Income Tax Return. The Office of Financial Aid will contact you if you are selected.

    If you need additional loan funds, you may apply for a Graduate Plus loan up to cost of attendance (less other aid.) Apply directly at You must esign a Promissory Note for the Graduate Plus Loan each year that you are awarded one. Sign your Pnote at

  • Complete the online 2014-2015 Need Access Application at There is a fee for this application.  There is a section for parents’ financial information. All students, regardless of age, are required to include parents' financial information on the Need Access Application. If you have a specific issue that makes it impossible for you to fulfill this requirement, please email the Office of Financial Aid at

    Mail or fax signed copies of your parents' 2013 Federal Income Tax Returns (with all accompanying schedules and occupations listed). If your parents are separated or divorced, submit tax returns for both parents. This information is to determine eligibility for a Need Grant whether or not your parents will contribute to your legal education. Parents’ tax returns are required for all Need Grant applicants, regardless of age and circumstances. If your parents have not completed their current Federal Tax Return, they may submit last year's returns.
    The deadlines for entering students are:

    • Accelerated (2-Year) students: April 15
    • Standard (3-Year) and Extended (4-Year) students: June 30

    The deadline for upper-class students is:

    • April 30, prior to the next academic year.

    No need-based grant applications will be considered after this date except for those students who lose scholarship funds at renewal and are newly eligible for a grant. In this case, their deadline is June 30.

    While we will continue to award Need-Based Grants after the deadlines if budgetary funds are available, it is in your best interest to complete your application prior to the deadlines, since funds are limited.

Experience Prof. Susan Herman's Constitutional Law class.

Have questions? We have answers.

Office of Financial Aid
One Boerum Place, 2nd Floor
Telephone: (718) 780-7915
Fax: (718) 228-6796

Mailing Address
250 Joralemon Street
Brooklyn, New York 11201

Office Hours
Monday - Friday 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
and until 6:00 pm on Tuesdays during the academic year.