121 Years of Making Law History
Founded in 1901, Brooklyn Law School offers a vibrant intellectual community emphasizing teaching excellence, leading-edge scholarship, and an innovative academic program designed to prepare students for a wide range of fields of the law and beyond. It is an independent institution, unaffiliated with any university or college, and the only law school in Brooklyn. The Law School offers students flexible J.D. degree options, including its highly ranked part-time 4-year program.
Our faculty members have earned national and international recognition in diverse areas of the law, including evidence, torts, civil liberties, intellectual property, products liability, criminal, international human rights, health law, and domestic and international corporate and commercial law. The Law School’s adjunct faculty includes leaders in government, business, the judiciary, and private practice.
- Top 50 Law Schools in the nation based on scholarly impact (Leiter Law School Reports).
- For four years in a row, Leiter’s Law School Reports has noted a Brooklyn Law School new faculty hire as one of the top 10 lateral moves of the year.
- New faculty hires who are bringing diverse perspectives in a wide range of areas, including legal writing, employment law, criminal law, and more.
The curriculum combines traditional course offerings and teaching methodologies with innovative professional skills training courses. The Law School’s academic centers host programs and symposia that highlight faculty scholarship and expertise and bring to campus leading experts for timely conversations on critical topics in the law and policy. From criminal law to international business law, from health law to law, language, and cognition, our centers enrich the learning environment at the Law School and offer students opportunities to delve more deeply into their fields of interest through research, scholarship, and prestigious fellowships.
- 11th in Part-time Program national ranking (U.S. News & World Report)
- 9 Programs ranked in the Top 50 (U.S. News & World Report)
- A+ for our offerings in International Law, Business and Corporate Law (preLaw Magazine)
- Top School for Criminal Law and Intellectual Property Law (preLaw Magazine)
- Top School for Practical Legal Skills Training (preLaw Magazine)
- Top Stand-Alone Law School (preLaw Magazine)
- Top Law School for Tech Law (preLaw Magazine)
- Honorable Mention for Most Diverse Law School (preLaw Magazine)
Brooklyn Law School students come from some of the most prestigious undergraduate institutions in the nation and bring with them diverse backgrounds and talents, fields of study, and career experience.
The Law School’s alumni network of 24,000 graduates extends worldwide and includes prominent leaders and trailblazers in their fields. Our large alumni body presents networking and career opportunities for our students that few law schools can match.
- Listed as a “Go-To Law School” for recent grads placed at the nation’s largest 100 law firms (National Law Journal)
- Recognized as a Leading Law School of the Top Music Lawyers (Billboard Magazine)
- 4th for number of alumni recognized on the NY Metro Area Super Lawyers list
- One of the nation’s top law schools for alumni promoted to partner (National Law Journal)
- Top 10 ranking for Greatest Resources for Women in Best Law School 2021 (The Princeton Review)
The Law School's nationally renowned clinical program—one of the first of its kind—is today one of the country’s most diverse and comprehensive experiential programs. The Law School’s clinics take full advantage of the Law School’s ideal location, within blocks of many of the busiest courts, law offices, and government agencies in the nation, and one subway stop from the world’s financial center.
- 9 In-House Clinics
- 7 Externships
- 11 Hybrid Externships
- Ranked Top 10 in the ABA Law School Competitions