Information on the Coronavirus Outbreak
New York State residents: Schedule a FREE appointment with a mental health professional. Call 1-844-863-9314
Message from Dean Cahill: COVID-19 and the Brooklyn Law School Community
March 25, 2020
I am writing to share that at least one member of the Law School community has tested positive for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). This notification is being sent consistent with our obligations under the Clery Act, which requires the Law School to share certain information with the community. Given recent trends in the city and region, we expect that more cases may be discovered in the coming days.
The individual known to have tested positive is an employee; does not live in any of our residences; and, importantly, has not been on campus since March 11. The health authorities have been notified about this person’s status so that they can investigate potential exposures.
Based on the timing of this person’s exposure and interactions with others in our community, and on the precautions and modifications already in place, we do not think this situation warrants any change in school policy or community members’ behavior. However, it underscores the risk to everyone, including our community, and the need to follow existing rules and recommendations:
- Stay home at all times; go out only when needed.
- Avoid close contact with others; maintain social distancing.
- Regularly clean surfaces that are frequently touched.
- Wash hands frequently.
- Cover coughs and sneezes; dispose of used tissues immediately.
- If you think you may have been exposed to coronavirus and have its flu-like symptoms (fever, shortness of breath or a cough), seek medical care, but please call ahead before visiting a doctor’s office or emergency department. This will enable your care providers to determine the best way for you to receive care.
Please do everything you can to keep yourselves and our entire community safe and healthy. Thanks again for your fortitude in this challenging time.
Dean Michael Cahill
If you have any questions, please contact Mercedes Ravelo,
Director of Public Safety, at 718-780-7942 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Externship Fieldwork Requirement: COVID-19 Adjustment
March 26, 2020
Update from Dean Cahill on Governor Cuomo’s Executive Order
March 22, 2020
Update from Dean Michael T. Cahill on COVID-19 Response
March 16, 2020
NYS Novel Coronavirus Hotline: 1-888-364-3065Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
New York State Department of Health
NYC Health Department
World Health Organization
Brooklyn Hospital Center
Tips to Stay Healthy During Flu Season
For more information and FAQs about COVID-19, visit cdc.gov
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.