Welcoming Veterans to Brooklyn Law School

The Yellow Ribbon Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 GI Bill®. Yellow Ribbon allows law schools and other institutions of higher learning to partially or fully fund tuition and fees. It is designed to provide additional financial support in conjunction with the Post 9-11/GI Bill®.

For each eligible veteran, Brooklyn Law contributes up to $10,000 per year to be matched by the Department of Veterans Affairs. In addition to the tuition benefit, the VA also provides a substantial stipend which may cover living expenses for the academic year. If additional funds are needed, Yellow Ribbon recipients may still apply for federal student loans.


You may qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program benefit if you:

  • Served an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, of at least 36 months and were honorably discharged;
  • Were discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001; or
  • Are a dependent who received benefits transferred from an eligible Service Member

To receive benefits under the Yellow Ribbon Program:

  • You must be eligible for the maximum benefit rate under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®
  • You must not be on active duty or a spouse using transferred entitlement
  • Brooklyn Law must certify your enrollment to VA and provide Yellow Ribbon Program information

Application Instructions

Before you apply to law school, you should submit an application for the Post-9/11 GI Bill® to VA. You can apply for your education benefits using eBenefits.va.gov. If you don't have an eBenefits account, you can register here.

Apply using the Veterans On-line Application (VONAPP) in eBenefits to complete and submit your application online. You can also submit a paper application. To do this, download and complete VA Form 22-1990, "Application for VA Education Benefits" and mail it to a VA Regional Processing Office. You can mail the form to the region of your home address or to the VA Regional Processing Office for the region of Brooklyn Law School’s physical address. Also, you can call a VA Education Case Manager (1-888-GIBill1) to ask for help.

If you are eligible, the VA will issue you the certificate outlining your status, and you’ll need to submit a copy of that to Brooklyn Law’s Office of Financial Aid. Once you have received the Certificate of Eligibility and have been admitted to Brooklyn Law School, please contact the Associate Director of Financial Aid at fa.app@brooklaw.edu or call 718-780-07915 for assistance.

The Financial Aid, Student Accounts, and Registrar offices all work together to ensure you understand your benefits and get the maximum amount available to you. We are dedicated to making the process as easy and seamless as possible.