The Application Process
Prospective students who wish to learn more about the admission application process should read our comprehensive LL.M. Application Instructions. These application instructions contain an application checklist and detailed information regarding admissions criteria, the application review process, deadlines, and costs.
Before applying, each applicant must register with LSAC. Registration is free and valid for a five-year period beginning on the date LSAC processes it. To register, visit the LSAC Web site at www.lsac.org.
After registering with LSAC, prospective students must apply to the LL.M. program using the online application at www.lsac.org. All supporting documents, including resumes/curriculum vitae, letters of recommendation, and personal statements must be sent to LSAC. Your transcripts and TOEFL or IELTS scores should also be sent directly to LSAC. The Law School will receive all applications and supporting documents from LSAC.
Only complete applications will be reviewed by the Law School’s LL.M. Admissions Committee. Applicants are encouraged to keep a copy of their application materials, as they will not be returned. Once you have completed your application you may check on the status by clicking here.
To be eligible for admission to the LL.M. program for foreign-trained lawyers, prospective students must:
- Hold a law degree from a foreign university that allows you to practice law in the jurisdiction where it was awarded; and
- Have a minimum Internet-based TOEFL score of 100 with a minimum of 25 on each of the four sections, or a minimum IELTS score of 7.0. For candidates whose native and working language is English and whose first degree in law is from a college or university in a country where both the language of instruction and the native language is English, the language proficiency examination requirement may be waived. For additional information, review the English Proficiency section of our LL.M. Application Instructions.
Relevant deadlines for the LL.M. are as follows:
- Early Action Application Deadline: December 1
- Regular Review Priority Deadline: February 1 (though applications will continue to be accepted through June 30)
- Tuition Deposit and Matriculation Fee Due Date: April 15 or the date denoted in the letter of admission, whichever is later
- Housing Application and Deposit Due Date: May
Learn more about Housing.
Visit the LLM Association of BLS on Facebook.